Ms. Broad's Class Blog

Welcome!

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Class Plan for Thursday, January 31, 2013

Objectives:

CC.1.4.11-12.F Demonstrate a grade appropriate command of the conventions of standard English grammar, usage, capitalization, punctuation, and spelling. 


CC.1.4.11-12.S Draw evidence from literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research, applying grade level reading standards for literature and literary non-fiction. 


SWBAT: Demonstrate command of standard English grammar by using it appropriately in body paragraphs.  Also, students will demonstrate that they are able to make connections between literature and informational texts through the body paragraphs of a formal essay.


DO NOW:
Take a sheet of paper and put your name on it.

Rewrite the following sentences using the correct form of there or their

1. I wanted to see my sister, Phoebe, and I knew she usually went to the park on Saturdays, so I waited (there, their) until she arrived. 

2. “I took (their, there) check off them, but they wouldn’t let me pay it.  The one with the glasses made me give it back to her.”

3. “She said she had to meet her friend.  Kids always have to meet (there, their) friend.  That kills me.”

4. I decided to leave Elkton Hills because everyone (their, there) was so phony.

Next,

Write ONE sentence using their AND one sentence using there.

Their -- used when something belongs to more than one person.


There -- refers to a place or the existence of something; always used when "is" and "are" follow it.


Bonus question: Write a sentence using "they're" correctly.



REMINDER: Chapter questions for 17-21 are due tomorrow, Friday, February 1st.

You should be working on your BODY PARAGRAPHS!